View Profile TheComet

All 152 Audio Reviews

66 w/ Responses

Pretty bonkers stuff, I like where you're going with this for sure!

You've got a pretty wonky hook to this track, in a good way. I can't quite but a finger on it, but it's got this weird off putting feeling to it I dig.

Big thing this track needs though is some mixing love, you've got a lot of peaking going on from just how loud this gets.

You can probably fix a lot of it with a compressor over the main lead (which is probably your loudest element of the track), or maybe a limiter. The biggest problem area that synth has is when you do that cutoff+resonance riser, it peaks hard about halfway through.
Some of this you can avoid by dulling down the resonance, or making the resonance go down faster if you're automating both cutoff and resonance.
The other side of it is just it's too loud in general. Loudness in a track is good and all, as long as the final mix comes through clean. You can always give things a boost later on with a compressor and some gain with it, but before any of that you need things to be clean so you don't lose much of the clarity of the instruments.

Your drumline is getting eaten by that lead too, but you should be able to fix that with some sidechaining. Get that kicker to duck the main lead on the beat and it'll sound punchier than ever. A side benefit to the track would be the ducking will probably add to the insanity of the sound, I think it would benefit it a lot!

If you're unfamiliar with sidechaining, please look up how to do it in your DAW, it really lets you go crazy with all these loud elements and still keep that sweet kicker punch you need. Typically it's really easy to do it, a lot of DAWs have the functionality built right into it (FL Studio has it built into the Limiter plugin it comes with, super easy to work with).

Overall, I love this bonkers thing, Clean up some of that mixing and you've got yourself a rock solid track!

FL Mobile? Absolute madlad here :P

First up, kudos for working in a screwball time signature and making it work. I've rarely adventured out of 4/4 and 3/4, so I can respect that.

I'll give you the pass on instrumentation since you're working on FL Mobile, but I'd love to hear this if you were to transfer it over to FL Studio and go all out on it.

I'm loving how complex your score is on this, I can't quite put a finger on the key you're working on, but those big sweeping arps and progressions feel pretty damned nice, even in the chips.

The whole score is pretty solid except for 2:15's section I feel, it just seems a little too quiet for that one bit, almost like there needs to be a subtle pad or something there to pull it together. Granted, this may be a software limitation (I'm not super familiar with FL Mobile, I work with the full DAW), but adding something to ease the silence in the background may help out nicely.

On the mixing side of things, I think the reverb you're using on your kicker might be a little much. It just seems like it's just adding noise to the mix as opposed to adding anything of value. You could probably source some of that reverb sound elsewhere in a more subtle fashion, but on the kicker it's just a bit much.

Overall, I like it, I can appreciate the unconventional time signature and what you were going after here, and I'd say you did a good job on it.

Again, I would love to hear this brought over to the full DAW and going the distance with it <3

Pretty interesting track, I get the vibes you're after but I think it takes a little too long to get into the swing of things.

If you've ever looked into Post-Rock at all, you could probably snag some of those ambient guitar vibes and inject some of that into your intro. The guitarwork in here is definitely the star of the track, and it would be great to get that earlier in the track to hook the listener in quick, even as an atmospheric element.

The synths feel a little bit cheesy after the first minute before the guitar rolls in, it's not necessarily the synths themselves, just they need something to make them sound a little less preset-y, if you know what I mean.
I can tell you were after a kind of old school synthesizer vibe there, might just need something like a long release stab under it or something to give the offbeat stabs you add at 1:05 some better context, or try to work with some guitarwork to complement it.

Once the guitar gets going in the track, it's a solid hook, really pulls you into the track. Definitely the strength of the whole thing.

Overall, not bad! I enjoyed the guitar bits of the track once I got past the intro, just those synths need a lil love.

DarioMarotta responds:

Hey there!
Thanks for your appreciation and detailed comment about this track.
About what you say regarding first part, yeah is pretty slow moving before going really somewhere cause of an intentional enigmatic and suspense .
About synths, is based on retro synth wave atmosphere and vibe but I can understand that still might risk to sound not always so much elaborated or "authentic" .
Regarding the guitars, you really make me wonder about actually trying to put some additional sounds, even though this track is born in and destined to a looping live session performance where is really hard to play many different parts at same time:)).
These are suggestions that inspire me for future improvements and maybe an additional studio version of the song .

Meme or not, there's some serious production quality here.

I actually went and checked through your other channels to make sure you didn't steal anything lol, color me impressed.

A bit outside the style of stuff I listen to, but I can give you props for the tight, clean mix and well engineered basslines.

Digging that 2:11 chill section, got some good vibes going here. That final breakdown at the end makes for a great drop to finish things off.

Going to have to follow you, see where you go from here :)

Dendra responds:

STEAL? Bro who the hecc steals music. Faithfulness is my mindset. :) I dont make music for the fame. I do it so yall can have some cool tracks to listen to and stuff. You can count on me.

Got some mid 2000's vibes going here, pretty chill feeling overall :) Kinda reminds me of High Contrast a little bit.

Got a few things:

-The first intro bit could use an atmosphere under it, I like the chords you're using but the silence between the first few chord progressions really hurts the flow there. Doesn't need to be anything huge, a low pad or even a longer release/reverb on that piano could fix that easily

-Your sub is peaking pretty badly at 0:44-1:27ish, along with the other areas of the track it's in. There's a couple ways you could get around it though. You can sidechain the kicker and snare against it to duck it when the beats hit, and/or run some limiting through your master channel or a submix of the bass and drumline to keep it from peaking.

-Might just be me, but if you dulled down the hats a smidge they'd be spot on, like 5-10dB

It's a nice clean sub that feels great in context with the rest of the song, would love to hear it cleaner in the mix

1:27-2:12 - This whole section is fantastic, it's perfect for the track, major kudos on this bit

2:12 - I really like that synth stab you bring in here, it's a subtle touch that really brings this bit up from the first half

3:38 - This needs just one more chord to close up the track, you kinda left it on a cliffhanger with that last chord, sorta like when you end a progression on a leading tone but with nothing to get closure with. Combined with maybe some reverb or a longer release on the piano would be a good sendoff to end the track on a good vibe

Overall, digging the track, brings me back to those days before the dark and gritty era of DnB that could chill you out at a high tempo

eff-bee-eye responds:

thanks for the feedback! source of subwoofer problem found

***Jan 2019 NAC Judge Review

Big track to take on, probably the most iconic thing in the AP for us old fart members

First half is pretty rough imo, that kicker is a bit too syncopated at the start to really get you into the beat properly, and the percussion in the first half just feels a little off time, and ends up pulling you out of the experience a bit. You recover this later on, hell, the last minute or so is a pretty solid beat.

The score itself is a pretty interesting way to attack the original loop though, I would've never thought to take the footwork route on it, definitely a unique approach.

***Jan 2019 NAC Judge Review

Taking on a 4s hiphop beat and turning it into a full track? You're nuts and I love it :D

You definitely got creative going off that original beat, while the instrumentation is a little rough, your solution to expanding the original score is fantastic. Definitely has some west coast hiphop vibes to it I can appreciate :)

Kinda hard to review hard on this one given the limited source material you had to work with, I'll give it a solid 4 for creativity

SI-7 responds:

Thanks for the review! I didn't intend for this to channel any hiphop vibes, and don't listen to much hiphop myself, so that's pretty interesting. I totally agree with the instruments though, I do need to work on those.

And yes, of course I'm nuts. Cashews preferably.

***Jan 2019 NAC Judge Review

Going to open this one up with: Dude you've got balls taking on a juggernaut of a track for your entry, and I can respect that. :)

This thing is a rock solid homage to the original remix, there's a kind of flow and energy to this track that just grabs a hold of you right away, so many "just right" elements in here.

I love that you introduced that clap and percussion elements into a few sections of this, they go the distance when it comes to giving this a distinctive modern feel over the original track, but you also kept that awesome timpani roll style drop from the original track which really ties both of their drumline ends together nicely.

Synths sound great on this one, super clean, they really fit the original track's vibe but differentiate themselves nicely from it.

Yes, I'm gushing, yes I like this track.

Take my 5 dammit.

D-L4Y responds:

Thank you for the feedback!

***Jan. 2019 NAC Judge Review

The early bit kinda put me off a little, but when the main beat dropped in I was suddenly thrust into some jazzy JRPG vibes that grew on me fast. Can't really put a finger on it exactly what it is, but there's a charm to those beat that you can picture as some kind of random encounter fight theme.

Very catchy and charming beat, loving those quick keyboard sweeps

***Jan 2019 NAC Judge Review

Definitely still holds those Dark Fantasy RPG title screen vibes the original had, but you did a good job of getting away from some of the monotony the original slips into by the midpoint.

Kinda sad I didn't get to hear the later drumline section get reworked, but you seem to have a more ambient vision for the remix, and I can respect that.

RealGDJK responds:

I could not get the end drumline to work out for me, so that was a sad thing for me. :(
Also, I did take a more ambient approach, although it was a bit difficult with the beginning.

Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.
----------------------------------
I go by the alias Sybol for my music work, but I decided to keep TheComet intact here for the love of nostalgia <3

Mitch Hammond @TheComet